Wednesday, July 16, 2014

When We Meet god

Praise the LORD, my soul, all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
—Psalm 103:1  the Psalms are full of praise for the promises of God and simply for who God is.  As New Testament Christians we can easily find things around us every day to be thankful for and to praise God for His Mercy and Grace. 
Many search for God’s presence and can’t seem to find it.  I have had more than one person say they came to church to be in God’s presence.  It made me wonder if they had an Old Testament theology of the presence and place of God.  You know, God lived in the Sanctuary and sat on the throne in the Holy of Holies.  The Israelite had to go to the Tabernacle and later the Temple to be in the presence of the Creator.  
Do people today believe that God lives within the four walls of the church?  Surely He is there but He is also out there.  He is in the face of the suffering person standing in line at the convenient store.  He is in the hunched body of the homeless person standing on the busy corner hoping for a hand out when the traffic light stops traffic.  He is in the cry of the hungry baby, in the laughter of the children playing and in the undecipherable utterances of the Alzheimer’s patient.  
We make a mistake if we expect to find God in the tornado or the blazing fire.  No doubt God can be found in those things but in most cases God meets us in the mundane. 
Do you remember, When I was hungry you fed me, when I was naked you clothed me, when I was imprisoned you visited me.  Have you been in the presence of God today?  He has been in yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment