Monday, July 7, 2014

When Technology Fails

Technology is great, when it works!  It has been a rough week and weekend for the Proctor family and technology. It started Friday when my new AC Adapter for my laptop came in the mail.  I plugged it in and let the battery charge for a few minutes.  When I tried to get my email (google) I was not able to access the site because the certificates were not recognized.  I tried other sites and all https sites gave me the same message.  After reading multiple forums with other people having the same issue and multiple attempts to clean it up I decided the computer was seven years old and ready to be retired – before I messed up and lost all my documents.

Saturday while on a ride Debbie “took on” a large Golden Retriever and the dog won.  Debbie sprang her wrist pretty bad and possibly then cracked the screen on her iPhone.  I took it into Ann Arbor to get it fixed this morning.  I don’t know Ann Arbor yet so I used one of the navigation apps on my phone to find the place.  Of course it is right in the middle of the city.  While there I discussed with the tech some issues I was having with my phone which evidently can be remedied by replacing the “Home” button.

I left both phones to be repaired, jumped in the pickup and reached for my phone and the navigational prowess it gives me.  Oh no!, I will not have the phone until 4:00 this afternoon.  I did my best to backtrack myself out of there but if you have ever been in major cities they are full of one way streets that dead end.

Evidently I made it back to the office as I am typing this.  However, I was expecting several important text today concerning our efforts to buy a house. Already somewhat discouraged about the snails pace of that activity I am unable to move forward as I am sure those text are on a phone in the middle of city that houses the University of Michigan.  Of course I have emailed the proper parties and told them of my oversight but the reason they text is because they don’t like to check their emails!

I am sure that we do not have the same issues with the faithfulness of our Creator.  Our God has no battery to run down, does not need to be plugged into a power source nor do we worry about his screen cracking. The Lord is not fragile and we do not have to worry about being without His presence because we have had to drop Him off at the repair shop.

The Psalmist reminds us that “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Ps 34:18 NIV).  I know that he is close to me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment