Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A New Song


Ok, one more idea dealing with the New Year.  --  “I found a diary underneath a tree, and started reading about me.”,  “If a picture paints a thousand words. . .”  “If we make it through December, everything’s going to be all right I know.” “Today I started loving you again; I’m right back where I’ve really always been.”
            I grew up listening to my dad sing country music to the radio.  I can probably sing every Merle Haggard and Charlie Pride songs recorded.  In High School I found a new kind of music and the English group Bread became my favorite band.  I know all their songs too. In fact “If” was the song sang at our wedding.  I would guess that you too have your favorite artist, band and songs that just do something for you when you hear them again.  Music has a powerful influence on our lives.
            Paul tells us in Romans that even Creation sings of the wonders of God, (Romans 1:20) but Creation moans for its own salvation (Romans 8:22).  Once creation resonated with the sound of God’s glory but that tune has become distorted as we find ourselves in the mud and mire of life.  We can sing songs today of pain, hurt and trouble and few of us do not find it difficult to understand the powerful impressions sin has left on our minds and life.
            But this is not the end of Creations or Humanities song. The Psalmist in 40:3 realized that God had “. . . put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.”  This is a song of grace and in this new year we sing that same song.  Praises to the God who comes through Jesus Christ and offers to us the gift of salvation and deliverance from the off-key notes we sing.  May this new song impress its words and truth upon all of us and those in whom we witness to in this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment